Fiesta Quinoa Salad by Mom De Cuisine
Why the name, you ask? Well, because this quinoa salad is a party in your mouth, duh.
Wait, did I really just type that? Yes, yes I did; but I will blame it on lingering delirium from a weekend in the sun in triple digit temperatures. You see, we spent part of the weekend at a near by resort island with friends soaking up the sun, playing in the sand, swimming in the Arabian Gulf, enjoying frosty adult beverages, smoking shisha. It was lovely, but it has taken almost 3 days to recover.
But recover we must; after all, I’m sick of canned soup and take-out. So I thought I’d break out of our heat-haze with my first quinoa recipe: a salad that’s perfect for any time of the year!
Fiesta Quinoa Salad Recipe
Recipe Type Side Dish
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total time 30 mins
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 chopped jalapeno (remove seeds if you don’t want it too spicy)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Lime wedges for serving
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, Rinse quinoa under cold water until the water runs clear. Boil the quinoa until softened, 15 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Allow it to cool.
- Combine beans, peppers, corn, onion, and jalapeno in a large bowl. Add quinoa when cooled, tossing all of the ingredients together with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, cumin, and ancho chili powder. Pour over quinoa mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Mix in cilantro and serve with additional lime wedges.
This can be prepared up to one day ahead. Add cilantro just before serving to prevent browning.
The written and photographic in this article are reference and redaction from http://momdecuisine.net/2012/05/15/fiesta-quinoa-salad/